VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop 6.0
This five-day, hands-on training workshop provides you with the advanced knowledge, skills, and abilities to achieve competence in troubleshooting the VMware vSphere® 6.x environment. This workshop increases your skill and competence in using the command-line interface, VMware vSphere® Web Client, VMware vRealize® Log lnsight, and other tools to analyze and solve problems.
System administrators. System integrators.
This course requires the completion of one of the following prerequisites:
- VMware Certified Professional 6.5 – Data Center Virtualization (VCP6.5-DCV).
- VMware vSphere: Fast Track 6.5.
- VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage 6.5.
- Equivalent knowledge and administration experience with ESXi and vCenter Server.
- Experience in working with a command-line interface is highly recommended, as is completion of VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale 6.5
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Use vSphere Web Client, the command-line interface, and logs to diagnose and resolve problems in the vSphere environment.
- Introduce troubleshooting principles and procedures.
- Troubleshoot networking problems and recover from these problems.
- Analyze storage failure scenarios and resolve the problems.
- Troubleshoot vSphere cluster failure scenarios and analyze possible causes.
- Diagnose common VMware vSphere® High Availability problems and provide solutions.
- Troubleshoot problems related to virtual machine migration (VMware vSphere® vMotion®) and improve resource use (VMware vSphere® Distributed Resource Scheduler).
- Troubleshoot VMware vCenter Server® problems.
- Identify VMware ESXi host problems, analyze failure scenarios, and correct them.
- Troubleshoot faulty virtual machines, including installation problems, snapshot problems, connection problems, and more.
Module 1: Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
• Describe the content of this course
• Gain a complete picture of the VMware certification system
• Familiarize yourself with the benefits of the VMware Education Learning Zone
• Identify additional resources
Module 2: Introduction to Troubleshooting
• Identify the effects of a system problem
• Define the scope of troubleshooting
• Use a structured approach
• Understand the principles of troubleshooting
• Follow a logical troubleshooting procedure
• Examine examples of troubleshooting
Module 3: Troubleshooting Tools
• Use command-line tools to identify and troubleshoot problems
• Use VMware vSphere® Management Assistant
• Find and interpret important log files
• Use vRealize Log Insight for log aggregation, efficient log search, and problem analysis
Module 4: Networking
• Identify the symptoms of network-related problems
• Analyze and resolve standard switch and distributed switch problems
• Analyze virtual machine connectivity problems and fix them
• Examine common management network connectivity problems and restore configurations
• Identify and prevent potential problems
Module 5: Storage
• Troubleshoot storage (iSCSI, NFS, VMware vSphere® VMFS, VMware vSAN, and VMware vSphere® Virtual Volumes) connectivity problems
• Analyze storage-related logs
• Analyze hardware malfunction and software misconfiguration scenarios
• Identify multipathing-related problems, including permanent device loss (PDL) and all paths down (APD)
• Analyze possible causes, recover from the faulty conditions, and restore storage visibility
Module 6: vSphere Clusters
• Identify and recover from problems related to vSphere HA
• Analyze and troubleshoot various types of vSphere vMotion problems related to virtual machine migrations
• Discuss and recover from vSphere DRS problems to achieve proper function and balanced resource use
• Examine vSphere cluster failure scenarios and possible solutions
Module 7: Virtual Machines
• Analyze and resolve common virtual machine snapshot problems
• Identify possible causes and resolve virtual machine power-on problems
• Troubleshoot virtual machine connection state problems
• Resolve problems seen during VMware Tools installations
• Examine failure scenarios and provide solutions
Module 8: vCenter Server and ESXi
• Understand the vCenter Server and VMware Platform Services Controller architecture in vSphere 6.x
• Identify and resolve authentication problems
• Troubleshoot VMware Certificate Authority and certificate problems
• Analyze and fix problems with vCenter Server services
• Analyze and fix vCenter Server database problems
• Identify VMware vCenter Server® High Availability problems
• Examine ESXi host and vCenter Server failure scenarios and resolve the problems