VMware vRealize Operations Manager: Install, Configure, Manage 6.2
This five-day course, designed for experienced VMware vSphere® users, teaches you how to use VMware vRealize® Operations Manager as a forensic and predictive tool. Based on VMware ESXi 6, VMware vCenter Server® 6, and vRealize Operations Manager 6.2, this course includes instruction on advanced capabilities, including customization and management.
Experienced system administrators and system integrators, and consultants responsible for customizing vRealize Operations Manager content
This class requires completion of one of the following courses: VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]. VMware vSphere: Optimize and Scale [V6]. Or system administration experience with vSphere deployments.
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Navigate the vRealize Operations Manager user interface.
- Use alerts and analysis badges to troubleshoot common and complex vSphere operational issues.
- Monitor capacity risk and infrastructure utilization.
- Perform capacity planning and what-if analyses.
- Use workload placement to rebalance workloads.
- Configure policies to meet the operational needs of the environment.
- Customize vRealize Operations Manager by creating alert definitions, symptom definitions, views, reports, dashboards, and super metrics.
- Give users and user groups controlled access to the environment.
- Monitor operating systems and applications.
- Extend the capabilities of vRealize Operations Manager by adding management packs and solutions.
- Scale a vRealize Operations Manager deployment and make it highly available.
- Install and configure vRealize Operations Manager.
- Monitor and maintain a vRealize Operations Manager deployment.
Module 1: Course Introduction
• Introductions and course logistics
• Course objectives
Module 2: Introduction to vRealize Operations
• Describe how vRealize Operations Manager is used to manage the software-defined data center
• Describe the features and benefits of vRealize Operations Manager
Module 3: vRealize Operations Manager User Interface
• Navigate the main areas of the user interface
• Explain the importance of inventory trees
• View widgets and dashboards on the Home page
• View inventory trees and objects on the Environment page
Module 4: vRealize Operations Manager Concepts
• Use views to gather information about the environment
• Create reports about the environment
• Explain how data is collected and analyzed by vRealize Operations Manager
• Discuss the importance of alerts, symptoms, and badges
Module 5: Troubleshooting System Health Issues
• Discuss the process for troubleshooting system health issues with vRealize Operations Manager
• Monitor alerts and troubleshoot system health issues
• Use heat maps to monitor system health
Module 6: Capacity Planning
• Discuss capacity planning models
• Assess capacity risk in the environment
• Troubleshoot risk and efficiency issues
• Identify ways to optimize resource utilization in the environment
• Use projects to perform what-if scenarios
Module 7: Tags, Application Groups, and Custom Object Groups
• Use tags and applications to group objects
• Create custom object groups in the environment
Module 8: Policies
• List guidelines for customizing vRealize Operations Manager content
• Create policies for various types of workloads
• Explain how policy inheritance works
Module 9: Intelligent Workload Placement
• Use workload placement to rebalance workloads across the environment
• Identify scenarios that use workload placement
• Use policies to drive workload balance plan recommendations
Module 10: Custom Alert Definitions
• Create symptom definitions
• Create recommendations and use actions
• Create notifications
• Create alert definitions
Module 11: Custom Views
• Describe the various types of views
• Create views
Module 12: Customs Dashboards
• Create custom dashboards
• Configure widgets and widget interactions
• Configure dashboard navigation
• Manage dashboards
Module 13: Super Metrics
• Create super metrics
• Enable super metrics in policies
Module 14: User Access Control
• Create local users and user groups
• Assign roles to local users and groups
• Import users and user groups from an LDAP source
Module 15: Operating System and Application Monitoring
• Deploy operating system and application monitoring
• Monitor operating systems and applications
Module 16: Management Packs
• Describe management packs that are available to the environment
• Install and configure a management pack
Module 17: Architecture, Scalability, and Availability
• Describe the components of a vRealize Operations Manager node
• Describe the roles in a vRealize Operations Manager cluster
• Explain how a node’s components interact to achieve scalability and availability
Module 18: Deploying vRealize Operations Manager
• Determine how to size a vRealize Operations Manager cluster
• Install and configure a vRealize Operations Manager cluster
• Monitor and manage a vRealize Operations Manager cluster