VMware vCenter Site Recovery Manager: Install, Configure, Manage 6.1
This five-day, hands-on training course gives experienced VMware vSphere® administrators the knowledge to install, configure, and manage VMware Site Recovery Manager 6.1. This course also shows you how to write and test disaster recovery plans that use Site Recovery Manager.
vSphere administrators, architects, system engineers, and systems integrators who are responsible for the deployment or management of Site Recovery Manager.
This class requires completion of one of the following courses: VMware vSphere: Install, Configure, Manage [V6]. VMware vSphere: Fast Track [V6]. VMware vSphere: What’s New [V5.5 to V6]. VMware vSphere: Troubleshooting Workshop [V5.5]. Or equivalent knowledge and administration experience with VMware ESXi and VMware vCenter Server.
By the end of the course, you should be able to meet the following objectives:
- Summarize the components of Site Recovery Manager architecture.
- Install Site Recovery Manager software.
- Describe the principal disaster recovery topologies that are used with Site Recovery Manager.
- Configure inventory and resource mappings.
- Describe the storage replication options that are used with Site Recovery Manager.
- Describe VMware vSphere® Replication functionality.
- Describe the vSphere Replication architecture.
- Deploy and configure vSphere Replication for use with Site Recovery Manager.
- Build Site Recovery Manager protection groups based on vSphere Replication.
- Build, edit, execute, test, and remove a recovery plan.
- Perform a planned migration.
- Perform re-protect and failback using Site Recovery Manager and vSphere Replication.
Module 1: Course Introduction
• Outline the necessary information to effectively undertake this course
• Identify resources for additional information
• Outline an overview of Site Recovery Manager
Module 2: Overview and Architecture
• Examine disaster recovery options with Site Recovery Manager
• Describe Site Recovery Manager integration with VMware vSphere® Web Client
• Discuss Site Recovery Manager features
• Analyze Site Recovery Manager storage policies and integration options
• Discuss how Site Recovery Manager supports several disaster recovery topologies
• Identify use cases for Site Recovery Manager across various scenarios
• Compare disaster recovery with VMware vCloud® Air and Site Recovery Manager
Module 3: Installing Site Recovery Manager
• Identify the necessary components to deploy and use Site Recovery Manager
• Describe prerequisites for installing a Site Recovery Manager server and the associated database
• Describe prerequisites for the Site Recovery Manager database
• Discuss requirements for VMware ESXi hosts and virtual machines with which Site Recovery Manager operates
• Install the Site Recovery Manager software
• Describe the Site Recovery Manager site-pairing process
• Define the credentials required for Site Recovery Manager site pairing
Module 4: Configuring Inventory Mappings
• Outline the importance of inventory mappings
• Examine configuration options for inventory mappings
• Outline the importance of placeholders
Module 5: Storage Replication
• Describe array-based replication
• Describe vSphere Replication
• Compare Site Recovery Manager storage replication options
Module 6: Deploying Replication
• Describe storage replication adapters
• Describe the process for adding an array manager in Site Recovery Manager
• Explore vSphere Replication architecture
• Examine vSphere Replication functionality
• Formulate use cases for vSphere Replication
• Deploy a vSphere Replication appliance
• Configure vSphere Replication appliance settings
• Configure a vSphere Replication appliance connection
• Deploy a vSphere Replication server
• Register a vSphere Replication server
Module 7: Configuring vSphere Replication
• Configure vSphere Replication for virtual machines
• Explain the importance of datastore mappings
• Describe vSphere Replication recovery point objective scheduling
• Describe the vSphere Replication disk transfer protocol
Module 8: Building Protection Groups
• Define protection group functionality
• Examine the differences between array-based protection group, protection groups based on vSphere Replication, and storage profile protection groups
• Create a protection group
• Discuss protection group settings
• Remove protection from a virtual machine
• Create a storage profile protection group
Module 9: Building Recovery Plans
• Discuss recovery plan concepts
• List recovery plan steps
• Discuss network planning
• Discuss customization options in recovery planning
• Recognize Site Recovery Manager alarm options
• Outline how to implement a recovery plan
• Investigate recovery plan options
• Describe the customization of recovery plans
Module 10: Testing and Running a Recovery Plan
• Discuss use cases for Site Recovery Manager
• Describe planned migration
• Identify Site Recovery Manager workflows
• Discuss the importance of VMware vSphere® VMFS re-signaturing
• Examine Site Recovery Manager integration with various vSphere technologies
• Outline how to conduct a recovery plan test
• Perform recovery plan test execution
• Identify the effects on the storage layer during recovery steps
• Review recovery plan reports
• Explain a recovery plan execution in planned migration or disaster recovery mode
• Understand storage layer changes for plan execution types
• Identify the recovery steps for each execution type
• Describe how to re-protect a data center
• Examine failback steps