ITIL 4 Edge Root-Cause Analysis
EDGE Root-Cause Analysis provides a systematic approach to identifying and addressing causes of failure. EDGE enables organizations to begin root-cause analysis from many different starting points by incorporating seven integrated tools, each with a specific purpose. Even when the nature of the problem is hard to precisely define or is non-technical in nature, EDGE provides a path for deeper analysis and corrective action. EDGE is a modern approach to root-cause analysis designed to support various operating models. EDGE is easily integrated with DevOps, Agile, and Lean methodologies, as well as traditional IT Service Management (ITSM) frameworks. EDGE empowers organizations to precisely define failure and take measured action to address it efficiently and effectively. Harnessing the power of set theory, the EDGE tools will act as a catalyst to fuel an effective and robust root-cause analysis framework for your organization.
EDGE Root-Cause Analysis courses are appropriate for anyone involved in the IT or Business domains engaged in any type of support activity.
The course is ideal for:
- IT Support Personnel
- Service Desk
- IT Consultants
- Relationship Managers
- Process Managers / Owners
- System Administrators
- Strategic Leaders
- Incident Managers
- Problem Managers
- Incident Response Team
Understand basic root-cause
- analysis terminology
- Understand key root-cause analysis concepts
- Describe the organizational benefit of root-cause analysis
- Learn the EDGE Root-Cause Analysis System and tools
- Understand when and how to leverage EDGE Root-Cause Analysis tools
There are no course prerequisites. However, some familiarity with incident support, troubleshooting, or problem-solving is preferred.
Module 1: Course Introduction
- Welcome and Introductions
- Course Overview and Objectives
- Case Studies and Exercises
Module 2: Key Concepts, Terminology, and Basic Tools
- Systems, Units and Elements
- Failure and Variation
- Thinking Modes
- Basic Tools
Module 3: The EDGE Root-Cause Analysis System
- EDGE Overview
- EDGE Toolbox
Module 4: Cognizant
- Use and application of the EDGE Cognizant tool to ensure awareness of relevant information and priorities.
Module 5: Solve
- Use and application of the EDGE Solve tool to define, map, and determine the causes of technical problems.
Module 6: Select
- Use and application of the EDGE Select tool to support informed and balanced decision-making.
Module 7: Risk
- Use and application of the EDGE Risk tool to optimize risks and increase the probability of success for an activity.
Module 8: Root
- Use and application of the EDGE Root tool to understand causes, underlying causes, and root causes and to map the relationship between them.
Module 9: Metrics
- Use and application of the EDGE Metrics tool to define relevant and appropriate measurements and metrics.
Module 10: Reflect
- Use and application of the EDGE Reflect tool to analyze activities retrospectively.
Module 11: Theory and Facilitation
- EDGE Root-Cause Analysis Theory
- Basics of Facilitation
Module 12: Exam
- Exam Prep